Sunday, November 2, 2014

#7

Why #7?  Let me explain why that's my new favorite number (I never believed in lucky numbers but I favor this number right now)...

Because of the headaches that I mentioned in my last post, I had a neurology consult and the doctor prescribed a few options. Before proceeding, I wanted to get them approved by my transplant coordinator. While I talked with her, she said "since it's been a while since we've talked, let's check where you are on the transplant list."  

She told me that my MELD score is 29 (I thought it was 27 so I've been given extra points).  Also, she counted down the list to find my name & stopped at 7 & said "there you are!"

Wow--that number brings this whole process to a closer reality because my coordinator shared that there have been transplants done for patients below me on the list.  Mainly, that is because those donors had hepatitis & the recipients also have hepatitis so they were willing to accept those offers. Because there is no alternate process to compensate for liver failure (like dialysis does for kidney failure), some people on the waiting list need to accept whatever offers they get because they are so ill.  For me, the doctors are waiting for a "clean donor" without complications.  

My coordinator told me to "get ready--it could be soon".  Only God knows what "soon" means, but I asked her if there's anything that I should be doing to prepare.  She advised me to stay as healthy as I can.  I translated that to:  flu & pneumonia shots, plenty of rest, avoid crowds, wiping off grocery cart handles, etc.  I've never been frieked out by germs.  I know some germophobes whose families are frequently sick--I think you can overdo the anti-bacterial thing.  However, now I've been more conscious of trying to avoid germs or higher risks of getting sick.  I wouldn't want to get a transplant offer & be ill & not able to undergo surgery.  

So, this news has kicked some more planning into gear.  We've finalized a plan about who will help with Sara & Carly while we're at the hospital.  Todd plans to stay fulltime with me for the 1st few days--to be my advocate while I can't speak for myself.  

My husband has lovingly told me that the medical staff will be thankful once I'm under anesthesia because then the questions from me will stop.  I've always been full of questions & my parents can confirm this.  (I know it drives Todd crazy at times.)  This whole process fascinates me.  I've always been intrigued by how God designed our bodies & want to know everything that will be happening to me.  I would prefer to be reading about it in a book (instead of my own body), but I want to know what's going on.  These surgeons are world-renown.  They shouldn't mind me double checking a few things before I go to sleep, right?  :)   I know it won't shock some of you, but I have a list of questions & things that I don't want them to forget (2 hernia repairs that they promised me, take pictures of Meg, etc.).  They will probably give me the quick-acting anesthesia!  

Thanks for following along--we'll keep you posted!
Belinda

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!!!!!! Gosh I can hardly find words but I can't wait until Meg is gone and you can begin anew! I love you...grace and peace to you as you wait a little more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great news, Belinda, in so many ways! Trusting in God's timing and provision for you and your family as you wait. Lots of love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to read this! Can't wait to hear about your new liver!

    ReplyDelete

Followers